What’s Been Brewin’ This Summer…

The last recipe that I posted was Jay’s ALTernative, an altbier dry-hopped with Tettnang. That beer came and went and I spent my summer brewing mostly hoppy ales with the occasional Belgian brew thrown into the mix. In an effort to play catch up, I’m going to post the recipes to four beers I brewed (all 5 gallon batches) and throw out some overall comments and thoughts for the future.

Honey Citra IPA

  • 9 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess)
  • 5 lbs Pilsner malt (Weyermann)
  • 1 lbs Caramel Munich 60L (Briess)
  • 2 lbs Honey
  • 1.00 oz Warrior [16.00 %] – Boil 60.0 minutes
  • 1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] – Boil 30.0 minutes
  • 2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.70 %] – Flameout
  • 2.00 oz Citra [13.00 %] – Dry Hop
  • 2 liter stepped starter American Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #060)
  • Victuals: 6.4% ABV, 60 IBUs

DSC_0446

This beer was more of a hoppy pale ale then an IPA and my main goal was to dry-hop in the primary after fermentation was done. I wanted to compare dry-hopping this way versus dry-hopping cold and in the keg. I was happy to find that I got great hop character from the Citra, but not much from Amarillo. I found that a vigorous fermentation usually blows off most late addition hop aromatics.

Pacific Jade Pale

  • 12 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess)
  • 1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt – 30L
  • 1.00 oz Pacific Jade [14.70 %] – Boil 60.0 minutes
  • 1.00 oz Pacific Jade [14.70 %] – Boil 5.0 minutes
  • 1.00 oz Pacific Jade [14.70 %] – Boil 0.0 minutes
  • 2.00 oz Pacific Jade [13.00 %] – Dry Hop
  • 2 liter stepped starter of American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
  • Victuals: 5.1% ABV, 46 IBUs

DSC_0204

I bought this hop on a whim to try it out. The hop is of New Zealand origin and is the result of a cross between First Choice (New Zealand varietal) and a male Saaz. Billed as a versatile high alpha hop with fresh citrus character and notes of black pepper. I found the resulting beer to have a lager-like hop profile reminiscent of Hallertau. I found notes of gooseberry and herbal mint rounded out by a firm bitterness. I also experimented with dry-hopping both in the fermentor and in the keg; this technique gave even better results than the first beer.

Double Dry-hopped Pale Ale

  • 1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt – 20L (20.0 SRM)
  • 6 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
  • 1.00 oz Warrior [16.70 %] – Boil 60.0 minutes
  • 2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] – Boil 0.0
  • 2.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
  • 1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] – Dry Hop (fermentor)
  • 1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] – Dry Hop 0.0 (keg)
  • 1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] – Dry Hop 0.0 (keg)
  • Victuals: 4.6% ABV, 54 IBUs

hops1

A quick extract brew to satisfy my hop cravings. Not IPA strength, but very hoppy and floral. Notes of mango, passion fruit, pine, and citrus. At the beginning of the keg (first ten pints or so), the aroma was lacking and was all Citra (catty). Simcoe and Centennial finally found there way and gave an extra boost towards the end of the keg. Malt fell a little flat, but hard to compete with all of the aroma hops.

Wit’s End

  • 1 lbs Rice Hulls
  • 7 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess)
  • 6 lbs Raw Wheat
  • 1.00 oz Saaz [3.20 %] – Boil 60.0 min
  • 0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [12.60 %] – Boil 60.0 min
  • 3 freshly zested oranges – Boil 0 min
  • 2 liter stepped starter of Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944)
  • Victuals: 5.4% ABV, 17 IBUs

This beer was an experiment. I never did a cereal mash before and wanted to see if there was a noticeable flavor difference between flaked wheat (my wit beers have used this int he past) and raw wheat. Here are my brew day notes: “Mashed in at 130F with raw wheat and 1 pound of crushed grain (seven pounds total) and held for 20 minutes. Raised temperature to 154F and held for another 20 minutes. At this point the mash turned into a gelatinous goop. Boiled for 10 minutes with constant stirring to avoid scorching the grain. Added cereal mash to main mash and added to 2 gallons of water to hit 152F. However, as I added the rest of the grain, the mash settled into a thick brick. I added an extra 3 gallons of water (7.1 total) in the main mash to achieve a water to grist ratio thin enough for lautering. Mashed out at 172F to obtain a wort low in viscosity and to avoid a stuck sparge. First runnings at 1.062 with no stuck sparges. Collected 9 gallons at 1.042 gravity with a mash efficiency of 76%.” I did not notice a difference from my past brews, although the best experiment would be to brew another beer with flaked wheat, side-by-side. Yeast character was prominent provided some nice phenolics and spice to the soft wheat character. I could not tell I added oranges though.

3 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

3 responses to “What’s Been Brewin’ This Summer…

  1. I’m surprised the orange zest didn’t come through more powerful. I added about 2 tbsp along with my dry hops for a session ale and it came through very prominently, though well-melded with the Simcoe I used. That cereal mash sounds demanding.

    • Me too. However, everyone’s taste buds are different and some people could find the orange.

      It is my suspicion that a vigorous fermentation (which mine usually are – done in 3-4 days) will blow off most volatile aromatics, including my orange. I think when I try this next I’m going to try and extract orange flavor, or even “dry-hop” with orange peel!

      J

    • Oh and yes. It was demanding… ;)

      Next time I’m buying flaked wheat.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s